Thursday 10 August 2017

Pregnancy Update | First Trimester + 6


This update is several weeks late, but better late than never right?  When I found out we were expecting again I couldn't wait to start documenting everything, particularly as I had never done so before.  From day one we have been faced with hurdles and uncertainties surrounding the viability of the pregnancy.  Fortunately, the baby has been developing perfectly and on that front there are no issues. Having lost a baby late into the second trimester and then a premature labour and delivery with Oscar, we were told from the outset the chances of another preemie are extremely high or I could miscarry at any stage.  We've had a few scares already but the staff at the medical centre and my consultant at the hospital have been outstanding, I'm being closely monitored and they're doing everything within their power to keep this pregnancy going for as long as possible.

I came out of my 12 week scan on a complete high.  The Sonographer at the Foetal Diagnostic Centre (whose equipment is AMAZING, as is she) told me that compared to my 12 week scan with Oscar this baby was brilliant, there were no worries or concerns of any chromosomal abnormalities like we had previously faced.  I had a consultant appointment pretty much straight after my scan, so went into his office beaming, convinced he would tell me he wouldn't need to see me until after our 20 week scan, when we would review everything and plan the next stage of our care.  I sat down and did he ever rain on my parade.  I have absolutely no complaints with regards to him, he is brilliant, he saved my life earlier in the year which is more than enough for me not to question his advice, but I was quite disheartened. He explained that whilst everything is going well for the baby, there are still issues surrounding my uterus and cervix, that there's a long way to go before we can feel confident that everything is ok - actually that won't happen until the baby is here, in our arms, fit and well. 

He said that he wanted me to have a cervical cerclage by 15 weeks to try and prevent premature labour, although ultimately if it's going to happen it will regardless of whether I have it or not.  The procedure was booked for a couple of weeks time as I wasn't fit enough to have the operation due to an infection and issues with my placenta. I was given a course of antibiotics and assumed I'd be back for my operation. I arrived at the 15 week mark and was admitted to hospital with early contractions, I was examined and monitored, everything calmed down enough for me to go home.  He told us that he thought nothing too scary would happen for a few weeks. The operation had been booked and cancelled a couple of times by this point, due to antibiotics not working and continuous issues with the placenta. I was prescribed more medication and sent home.  I am now 18 weeks pregnant, the operation has been booked and cancelled a further 3 times and earlier this week I spent 2 days in hospital having IV antibiotics, which we won't know the results of until the beginning of September.  I did question whether I could have the procedure and a course of antibiotics immediately after, but we were told as I'm recovering from sepsis the chances of me becoming seriously unwell again are extremely high if I was to pick up any infection during or after the procedure.  

So where are we now, if these antibiotics work it looks like I'll be having the procedure when I return from the UK at the end of the month, I will be over 21 weeks at this point, which does make me a little nervous, but like I said, I trust the consultant completely.  If however, they don't work, I won't be having anymore treatment or the cerclage and we will have to wait and see what my body does by itself.  At the moment we are taking it week by week, the furthest ahead I am looking is 24 weeks, as I know at this point the hospital in Nicosia will accept us and the baby has a good chance of survival in their Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (I appreciate a baby born this early brings can have health complications but a chance of survival is enough for me).  Once we get to 24 weeks I'll start looking a bit further ahead.  

Now we've got the heavy stuff out of the way, here are the more light hearted and possibly for you, interesting parts of my pregnancy update: 

Symptoms - to be honest, aside from the above I've been pretty lucky, I haven't been plagued with sickness and I've been, for the most part, feeling pretty good.  The only thing I've struggled with is total lack of body confidence, obviously I didn't really have much chance to get my tummy toned and in great shape before I started gaining again, weight wise I'm on parr with how I was at this stage with Oscar, I just feel a bit wobbly and 'ugh' at the moment.

Sleep - I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old, I'm not sure sleep is a thing anymore!

Bump - I started showing quite quickly this time round, I am still in my normal  clothes but I don't think it will be long before I need to start wearing maternity bottoms! Despite feeling huge for this stage of the pregnancy, people have said I look smaller than I did with Oscar at this point, although I think it's more likely down to the fact I make tactical clothing choices and baggy tops are life! 

Cravings - Fruit! I'm not a fruit person usually, but I cannot stop eating nectarines, pineapple and particularly frozen raspberries. 

Foetal Movement - Flutters definitely, but nothing major yet! 

Gender - We may have been lucky enough to find out at 12 weeks, I can neither confirm nor deny ;)


I realise this post may seem a bit lengthy or 'doom and gloom', but this is my attempt at getting you up to speed with what's going on. My plan is to write fortnightly updates, unless there are any major changes. Meaning my next one will be 20 weeks - who knows, maybe they'll even be a gender reveal to look forward to!! :) 

xo 




SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Aww I didn't realise you were pregnant until seeing this! Congratulations lovely ❤️Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are not only having wonderful support and care but that everything is going so well! congratulations on your pregnancy and I wish the best for you in the upcoming weeks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you either way it'll give me something to write about! x

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you have a supportive consultant and that bubba is doing well. I hope the procedure goes ahead as planned for you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm so glad that you have a great consultant and I hope that the procedure all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god, I totally didn't realise you were pregnant until I saw this! I think your change of blog name has thrown me totally too, but YAY, I'm so pleased for you, congratulations! Hope you are feeling really well and all goes well for this pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha big changes all around! Blog needed a bit of a spruss up!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you have some really good healthcare professionals around you and I'm so glad! I'll be keeping an eye out for your future pregnancy posts and I'm sending you lots of love 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) not planning to leave the next update for weeks and weeks! :)

      Delete
  7. It's always lovely when you strike gold with amazing HCPs. Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fingers crossed that things go as smoothly as they can for you my love. How many people have made the comment "don't you like your sleep" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending all of my love your way! Sleep is for the weak eh! xx

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig