Wednesday 1 March 2017

World Book Day: Why Books Are So Important & Emelia's Top 10





I love to have books around the house, being pregnant with Emelia was a great excuse and opportunity for me to start her collection.  We love going into book shops and discovering new books.  I've been to people's houses before and there's not a book in sight, I can't fathom why people don't see how important books are for children and their development.  I am passionate about helping my children develop a love for reading, reading helps children develop into confident, enthusiastic readers and learners.




As World Book Day is coming up I thought I'd share 10 reasons why I feel books are so important for children and 10 of Emelia's favourite books.



Why are books so important? 

  • Reading provides children with quiet, calm time away from their busy lives 
  • Stories encourage curiosity and discussion 
  • Being read to develops literacy skills and language development 
  • Stories prompt imaginative play 
  • Time to bond with your child 
  • Books give children the chance to reflect, inspire and provoke thought
  • Stories and picture books provide children with an appreciation for art as well as writing
  • Reading helps develop your child's vocabulary
  • Develop knowledge 
  • Books give your child an understanding of print concepts, left to right & top to bottom. 

Emelia's Top 10


Julia Donaldson is our favourite children's author, as I'm sure she is to many.  You'll see a few of her books detailed below.


What the Ladybird Heard
This was one of the first books I bought Emelia whilst I was pregnant, we've read it hundred's of times and it never gets old.  We love that it Rhymes, it's quite witty and the illustrations are bright and sparkly (major bonus!).

What the Ladybird Heard Next
The wonderful and equally brilliant sequal to What the Ladybird Head, humours and bright whilst staying true to the theme of the original.

Night Monkey, Day Monkey
Another great book from Julia Donaldson.  A story about two monkeys who are best friends and learn a lot about each others worlds.  Brett loves this as much as Emelia. (Possibly even more!)


One Snowy Night (A Tale from Percy's Park)
This was my favourite book as a child, I used to ask my parents to read it to be every night.  It wasn't a shock to anyone when I bought it for Emelia, I'm not sure she enjoys it as much as I did but it's definitely one of the most read!

The World of Peter Rabbit - The Complete Collection of Original Tales 1-23 White Jackets
We love Beatrix Potter, Emelia was given the collection as a Christening present.  She loves the stories and the beautiful illustrations.

The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
Another book that takes me back to my childhood, a lovely story for young children.

Guess How Much I Love You
We have been reading this to Emelia since she was born.  A very popular and timeless book.

When You Were Born
This was given to Emelia when she was born, I had never heard of the author or seen the book before but we love it.  It's a lovely book with bright illustrations.  This is one of my absolute favourite books of Emelia's and I would recommend it to anyone - it also makes a lovely gift!

The Tiger Who Came to Tea
Emelia finds this book quite comical and talks throughout to repeatedly when the Tiger is coming to our house for tea!

We're Going on a Bear Hunt
A classic!  Emelia loves acting out the story, it's great as its simple and easy for children to learn.

To be honest it was difficult to narrow it down to 10, when I asked Emelia to pick out her favourite books we had over 20 contenders!

I'd love to hear what your favourite children books are, please leave comments below!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig